Definition of a Managed Entity
A Managed Entity (ME) is a device that generates an event. For example:
- a server and / or single instance of a virtual machine;
- an instance of an event-generating application;
- a network device, i.e. router (total number of virtual ports per Managed Entity is < 100, each additional 100 counts as an extra ME);
- a network appliance, such as a firewall;
- a database instance;
- each individual physical server and each application instance in a cluster environment.